As we all celebrated last February, Lav Diaz‘ critically acclaimed movie Hele sa Hiwagang Hapis will be screened here in Manila starting Black Saturday March 26, 2016. The 8-hour epic will be distributed by Star Cinema. Hele Sa Hiwagang Hapis, is a narration of Philippine revolution occurred during 1896, one of the historical landscapes and source of our independence. The film won Silver Bear Alfred Bauer Prize in 2016 Berlin International Film Festival.
WATCH THIS TRAILER
According to Star Cinema, the film will be screened once a day in selected Cinemas nationwide. As of press time, no list of cinemas yet for Philippine screening. There will be one hour break in between so prepare for a nonstop 4-hour cinematic treat from Lav Diaz.
Here are some of my suggestions if you are planning this long epic film:
1. Have an open mind. As John Lloyd Cruz mentioned in his previous interview, “It is impossible for you to not get affected.”
2. Get some good lunch. As movie houses start screening by 12pm, you should prepare to fill your stomach with some healthy food as you will need more energy to process the whole thing within the next 4 hours.
3. Do not look at Piolo Pascual’s eyes. You will get distracted 100%
4. Use the 1-hour break properly. The movie will have a one hour break. Take a pee if you need to. Take a walk and reflect. Do not preempt or trying to judge and discuss the movie first as you are technically on its first half. Drink lotsa water.
5. Do not bring to much stuff. Enough Jacket or cold comfortable dress is enough to keep you warm inside the cold cinema.
6. Do not cry loud inside the cinema. Some of your seatmate might be waiting for someone to chorus on.
7. If your crush is watching the movie, focus on the film first. Landi later during breaks or after the movie. Try to ask him/her how he/she felt about you I mean about the movie.
8. Do not shout “I love you Piolo or I love you John LLoyd” just like what fans are doing in premiere nights.
9. At the end of the movie, tell yourself that you will support and watch important Filipino films as contribution to the society.
10. Post your thoughts about the movie in your social media accounts. It is important that you share your takeaways with your peers so they can check if you learn something.
11. Do not spoil the story. It is an 8-hour movie and you can never summarize its purpose by just telling what happened. Let them watch.
12. Go back to this blog, Rod Magaru show, as I will be posting my movie review. Leave a comment and let me and others know your inputs.
Written and Directed by Lav Diaz, Hele Sa Hiwagang Hapis opens March 26, 2016 starring John Lloyd Cruz, Piolo Pascual, Hazel Orencio, Alessandra de Rossi, Bernardo Bernardo, Joel Saracho, Susan Africa, Cherie Gil, Angel Aquino, Cid Lucero, Ely Buendia, Bart Guingona and many more.